July 25, 2011

Corn & Squash Blossoms

I love eating from our very own garden.  On busy weeknights I tend to rush out to the garden while the kids aren't looking and pick a handful of chives or a bunch of chard.  On weekends there is more time, and I enjoy exploring the garden with the girls, commissioning Grace to find the one ripe cucumber and having Abby "help" me shuck corn.

This Sunday we harvested ten squash blossoms, ten small ears of corn, a cucumber, some chamomile flowers, and a couple sprigs of parsley.

We left the chamomile flowers in a paper bag to dry.  Maybe by the end of summer we'll have enough to make tea.

Gracie made a salad with the cucumber and some lettuce from the farmers market, which she dressed with a honey-mustard vinaigrette and grated cheese.  She's been making salad frequently lately; with a little supervision, she does really well.

She and I worked together to stuff the squash blossoms with fresh mozzarella and parsley.  Then I batter-dipped them and fried them.

But the highlight of the meal was the homegrown corn, simply boiled and slathered with butter.

No comments:

Post a Comment