January 9, 2013

Going Crunchy: Facial Scrub

Facial/Body Scrub

The facial scrub I've made uses the same basic "recipe" as the Invigorating Rosemary-Mint Foot Scrub, but I use granulated sugar in place of the Epson salt, because the scrubbing particles are smaller and less abrasive.  I infuse the oil with something that smells good or I add a few drops of essential oil.  Orange peel-infused olive oil with a 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract added at the end of the infusion time is one of my favorites.  The recipe makes two four ounce jars.  I use the scrub as a facial cleanser or body scrub.  In the winter we don't need to use soap daily, and doing so can cause skin to dry out, so lately I skip the soap on all but a few body parts and just moisturize with a scrub.  Its scent is always uplifting, it helps me wake up in the mornings and my skin is left moisturized, which is especially important in the winter.

The kids like these scrubs too, they like to identify the scents, and they don't seem to miss chasing a bar of soap around the bathtub.

1 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup oil (coconut, sweet almond and olive are my favorites)
Herbs to infuse the oil or essential oils to add a nice scent
Optional: 1 tablespoon sea salt, baking soda, bentonite clay or epsom salt, or a teaspoon liquid castile soap

No comments:

Post a Comment