Arroz Con Pollo
Hearty Miso Soup w/ Tofu & Soba Noodles
Beef Curry w/
Sadly I had to forego a new recipe from Sunset Magazine, Halibut Kebabs with Grilled Bread and Pancetta, for an old standby in the freezer: hot dogs. Surely, my six-year-old will appreciate the switch. And I'll look forward to trying the halibut next month. I'll save myself some work by using the ham we have on-hand for sandwiches for lunch, and stretch some leftover casserole. But the Arroz con Pollo I've really been looking forward to. The recipe serves 8, so I will halve it, even though I'm sure we would have had no problem finishing the leftovers.
I was left with only $9 for the Farmers Market. After buying eggs I had $5 left. So my $5 bag and whatever is already at our house will have to suffice for most of our produce this week. I'll let you know how it goes.
Seriously, if you haven't taken advantage of Vogel's Stuff a Bag for $5 Sale at the Saturday Farmer's Market in downtown Chico, here's a list of what I got this past weekend for five dollars:
- 5 yellow tomatoes -I have cilantro and lime in the fridge, so I can make salsa
- 6 long green peppers, similar to Anaheim -for the Chili and salsa
- 12 small- to medium-sized sweet peppers in assorted colors -for the Curry, and who knows what else.
- a large bunch of parsley - I don't know what I've use it for, but I like to have parsley around.
- 2 pomegranates - for snacking
- one daikon radish -for the Miso Soup
- 3 cucumbers - for snacks and lunch
- one long sweet summer squash -for the Curry
- one beautiful bunch of turnips -these didn't fit in the bag, but the gal offered them to me for free. I don't know what I'll do with them, maybe put them in the curry in place of the carrots and potatoes that I would normally serve.
Planning your farmers market grocery list, and need to know what might be available this week? Check out our What's In Season list.