June 13, 2011

Oven-Fried Potatoes

My favorite thing at the market the last few weeks are those little organic yellow potatoes.

I know what you're thinking, "Um, Maria, did you not notice the 'super sweet organic cherries'?  And what about the blackberries?  Nectarines?"

Yeah, I know.  Yes, I am enjoying those things too, but the potatoes!  I think I appreciate them because the potatoes we've eaten most recently were some organic russets from the grocery store.  I might add that half the bag was left forgotten in the pantry long enough to sprout.  When I discovered this, I anticipated planting them in the space in our vegetable garden vacated by some cilantro that bolted early, but after tasting the little beauties from Rob's Organic Produce, I deemed those supermarket potatoes not fit to reproduce and composted them. 

These yellow potatoes are sweet and flavorful.  If you can't imagine a potato worthy of the term "flavorful," I suggest you ditch your supermarket potatoes immediately and get to the farmers market pronto.  

My favorite way to eat the potatoes is to slice them thinly, no more than 1/8 of an inch thick, toss them with plenty of olive oil, kosher salt and black pepper, and bake them in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet at 375 until golden brown and crisp. Watch them carefully, and turn them when the bottoms are slightly browned.  This make take 10-15 minutes for thinner slices toward the edges of the pan and up to 30 minutes for thicker slices.  (Sometimes we add a couple thinly slices golden beets or carrots to the potatoes.)

Grace likes to eat Oven-Fried Potatoes with ketchup. I like to top them with a poached egg and minced chives.

And we both like a side of fresh blackberries.

oOo

For those of you with more time on your hands than I have lately, I'm sure this Potato and Blue Cheese Pizza would highlight those little yellow beauties well.

No comments:

Post a Comment